The Families of Freedom Scholarship Fund® benefits financially needy dependent children, spouses, and domestic partners of 9/11 victims, including airplane crew and passengers; World Trade Center and Pentagon workers and visitors; and relief workers, including firefighters, emergency medical personnel, and law enforcement personnel, that were involved in the rescue efforts.
The Families of Freedom Scholarship Fund is only accepting registrations for victims who passed away on September 11, 2001. The registration period has closed indefinitely for victims who were permanently disabled victims as a direct result of 9/11.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR VICTIMS WHO PASSED AWAY ON SEPTEMBER 11, 2001
Victims who passed away on Tuesday, September 11, 2001 as a direct result of the terrorist attack must meet all of the following criteria:
- Was in one of the impact areas*.
- Was an airplane crew or passenger; World Trade Center worker or visitor; Pentagon worker or visitor; or a relief worker – including firefighter, emergency medical personnel, and law enforcement personnel, that were involved in the rescue efforts.
- the area surrounding the World Trade Center bordered by Broadway to the East, the Hudson River to the West, Chambers Street to the North and Rector Street to the South
- at the crash site of United Airlines flight 93 in Shanksville, Pennsylvania
- at the crash site of American Airlines flight 77 at the grounds of the Pentagon
Registration with the Families of Freedom Scholarship Fund is the first step; it is a one-time process that should be completed as soon as possible. The completed Registration Form and requested documentation must be submitted to verify eligibility for registration with the Fund. All registration documents must be submitted by mail; there is no online registration. You will receive notification approximately four to six weeks after receipt of your registration documentation. Please note that student applications cannot be submitted for financial assistance until Scholarship America has approved the registration. The registration process must be completed first.
Please register all family members who may attend a program of study after high school. Spouses or domestic partners of victims, college-age students, high school students, and all younger children should be registered by indicating their information on the Registration Form.
DOWNLOAD REGISTRATION FORM
(Additional Required Documents are listed on the Form)
To register, download and print the registration form above, complete, and mail with requested documentation to:
Families of Freedom Scholarship Fund
One Scholarship Way
Saint Peter, MN 56082
We request that all documents be mailed to our office. To protect your privacy, do not send documents to our office electronically.